Thursday, March 1, 2012

Weekend Mocha IceBox Cake

I was watching Barefoot Contessa last week and she made this cake.  When I saw her take a bite of it, I immediately put my boots on, grabbed my keys, and went to the store to get the ingredients.  I just had to make this cake.  And oh boy was it worth it.  I strongly urge you to read over this and get your boots on and grab your keys and go get the stuff.  The only draw back is you can't eat it until the following day.  BOOO!  But you can lick the spatula and whisk.  That makes it worth the wait.

For the original recipe, click here.


What you'll need:
2 cups Cold Heavy Whipping Cream
12 Oz Mascarpone Cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Kahlua
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large packages cheap, thin chocolate chip cookies
Shaved chocolate for garnish (You can just use a large chocolate bar)

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or you can use a large bowl and hand held electric mixture) add your Heavy cream:


Then add the mascarpone cheese, sugar, Kahlua, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and the vanilla.  Mix on low speed for about a minute, then gradually increase the speed to medium. 


 

While this is mixing, take a 8 or 9 inch spring form pan and cover the bottom in a single layer of cookies.  You can break some up to fill in any gaps.



Once your cream has formed stiff peaks like this:



Take a third of it and spread it evenly on top of the first layer of cookies.
Then add on another full layer of cookies.




Continue layer cookies and cream, finishing the top with a layer of the cream.



Now, lick the remainder of the cream.  I think you've earned it.

Cover the "cake" with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.  So sad...Can't enjoy the fruits of your labor for a whole day.  If you're like me, you'll find yourself peeking at it every few hours. 

Once it's time (OH MY GOD I'm almost peeing my pants, I wanna eat it sooo bad!)
Run a knife along the side of the spring form to gently loosen the cake.  Release the spring form and carefully remove.  Shave chocolate all over the top of the cake. 



Now, if you're a lady, you'll slice it and serve it on a plate and not just shove your face in it.  But I'm not judging.




It's kinda like a tiramisu.  That's why you can buy cheap, thin chocolate chip cookies.  The cream softens them and all of this yummyness just melts in your mouth.

Enjoy
--
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment