Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Perfect BLATS (Bacon Lettuce Avacado and Tomato Sandwich)




Spring time has been in the air this past week in Utah.  Being in Utah, we know that it will not last.  But while it's teasing us, I thought I'd make something that reminds me of warmer, leisurely days. 

Now I know most everyone knows how to make a BLT or even a BLAT... But I thought I'd show you my way.  It's simple and incredibly satisfying.  So just in case you can't figure out what to prepare for dinner tonight, try this and serve with a small bowl of your favorite soup while dreaming of warmer days spent on your patios.

First of all... Make the bacon.  Whatever you do, do not fry it.  Yuck..So greasy and the splatter of fat around your stove will just tick you off later at clean up time.

I always cook bacon this way.  It's easy, cooked perfectly, and easy cleanup.

Line a rimmed cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Place a rack (like a cookie cooling rack) on top.

Lay your bacon strips flat on the rack in a row.  Now, it's very important to use good quality, thick cut bacon.  If you use the cheaper, more fatty bacon...the fat will spatter in your over and create lots of smoke.
Place in a preheated 400 degree oven on the middle rack for 15 to 20 minutes. 
When you pull the bacon out, it will be cooked perfectly with no shrivelling affect.  Yeah..I said it.

Keep your oven on.  Take your two slices of bread, spread each side with a bit of mayo and place a slice of Swiss cheese on both pieces.  Place them in the oven for about 3 to 5 minutes to toast the bread and slightly melt the cheese. 

Now layer up all the other yummies.


  Can't wait to sink into that crispy sammy...simple huh?  And biting into this yummy sandwich reminds me of
summer evenings and the smell of fresh cut lawns.

 
Unfortunately, this weekend is bringing another snow storm.  Guess there will be another beef stew recipe brewing around here.

Longing for Summer:

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment